Standard Survival Forums

2013-12-15T01:55:32+00:00

For a typical player on the server, if you find a spawner of any sort in the world at all, you exploit it to gather goodies and level in order to enchant stuff. Zombie, spider, skeletons… Hell, even Endermen… All been done before without much problem at all.

However, over the time that I've been on the server, I've noticed that you can duplicate villagers as well. Using a system of doors, you can mass produce them, making either a trading market or an iron golem farm for "sorta easy" iron. There's a small problem with this, however…

The mechanics behind a villager cause it to lag the area near it if its pathing causes it to go somewhere it cannot get to. Obviously, you're dealing with a bunch of dummies to begin with as far as navigation goes, so it shouldn't surprise you, right? Up to 20 villagers is usually not a major thing. Slight lag in the area, but no major server-wide affects. But if you test the boundaries of the village spawner and make one that never ceases to produce villagers…

Imagine 1000 villagers trying to navigate a door or move at the same time, but about 250 cannot because another villager is doing the same action or the action is terminated because of an obstruction? Example being 50 villagers want to go "outside" yet the action is cancelled because one villager beat them there, opened the door, and caused the others to reroute because the previous action had already been done. By one villager. 50 ceased actions causes a lag spike server-wide. Now think bigger and imagine that 1000 again. The action described above happens every second. With 200 villagers per action. o_o

MASSIVE FUCKING LAG!

This exact reason is what caused server problems with the beginning of the current server… villager spawners became a thing and people wanted some in order to get a potentially good deal for their sorta useless emeralds. Which is a viable reason. Make a small area within a confined area, put a glass roof over part of the area and say you have… 20 doors. That would be equal to a few villagers, possibly an iron golem for some free iron. For this build, I see nothing wrong. But when you test the limits and put the villagers out of range from one another… where breeding becomes infinite and villagers mass spawn… That's terms for some serious consequences.

The same can be said for mob spawners. If you map out a mob spawner correctly, you can mass spawn mobs and go afk watching youtube videos while the mobs pile up, then rake in some serious experience. Nothing wrong with this in moderation. Mobs are a bit less difficult, though, as their pathing doesn't cause a nauseating amount of lag in large numbers, it's just the number of mobs itself. Server did implement something a while back to curb the number of mods that can spawn in a chunk from this method, but that doesn't mean that it is impossible to do.

So here is how this is gonna work out.

Upon discovery of a derelict villager or mob spawner that is causing massive lag, you'll have one of two choices:

1. Immediately destroy the spawner and the mobs spawned. Not the actual spawner itself if it is a mob spawner, just the components to allow them to pile up unless server says otherwise.

2. Face a ban. Server cleans it up how he sees fit, which will probably include the mob spawner itself.

That's just the two cents of it.

I wanted to put this up to warn those on the server of the immense pressure the spawners can have on the server… you gotta remember that the dedicated server we have isn't made of gold and doesn't break under any pressure… it's just like your own computer. If you try to run 100 programs at once on it, it's gonna stall and lag while it processes the information, potentially crashing the computer itself. You don't want that. So why do that to someone else?

tl;dr - Small villager spawners only unless server says otherwise, 20 max or minimum number to produce A SINGLE iron golem repeatedly. Rule of thumb, if it causes lag, you have too many. Can't listen, get a ban unless you clean it up when told to do so.

Sorry for the rant. I just remember the last time we had issues with the villager spawners causing the intense lag, it pissed server off pretty badly. So I figured I'd try to educate everyone as to why it happens.

Fun tip: Chickens do the same thing. o_o Don't test that out.
Edited by CrimsonAngel 2013-12-15T02:08:13+00:00

2013-12-15T01:58:13+00:00

Also from what I learned from watching a video, 10 doors to per a village, but seems weird. Possibly keep that in mind

2013-12-15T01:59:04+00:00

Would 300 cows in the same block cause lag… :\ Remember my old cow farm post? XD

2013-12-15T02:00:26+00:00

BL00_20Would 300 cows in the same block cause lag… :\ Remember my old cow farm post? XD

I think cows fall within the excessive mobs. I don't think their pathing causes issues, just the sheer amount. So yours should have been fine, although a bit much. XD

2013-12-15T04:07:21+00:00

i actually found some the other day, (not mine) but it only had one villager and he couldn't reproduce, there were several of the destroyed and i killed them all because the area was uninhabited and would only bite me in the ass with lag anyways

2013-12-15T08:12:51+00:00

Wow… Am I the only one thinking about how the shit enchanted books manufacturing would be affected?

2013-12-15T10:42:08+00:00

Why not upgrade the server if this is a problem.

2013-12-15T15:22:19+00:00

UndeadSmileyFaceWhy not upgrade the server if this is a problem.

Why not donate if you think your smart-ass remarks will help the server financially.

2013-12-15T18:45:37+00:00

Ike_Sileth_99

Why not donate if you think your smart-ass remarks will help the server financially.

Its a suggestion jackass. Anyways Server is upgrading the server on Monday.

Sorry to say Crimson no one will do what you asked people won't listen because this is a video game.

2013-12-15T18:59:01+00:00

UndeadSmileyFace
Ike_Sileth_99

Sorry to say Crimson no one will do what you asked people won't listen because this is a video game.

If that's the case, so be it. When they cry a river after being banned for it, I won't listen to them. Simple as that.

2013-12-15T19:09:58+00:00

CrimsonAngel
UndeadSmileyFace
Ike_Sileth_99

If that's the case, so be it. When they cry a river after being banned for it, I won't listen to them. Simple as that.

Don't ban people for playing the game man, Server justs needs to upgrade and everything will be fine, server put a cap for 250~ mobs so don't ban because you'll be banning alot of people.

2013-12-15T19:36:41+00:00

Really, it would only be for the villager spawners. Regular mob spawners are fine unless they hit that critical mass where it slows everything down. I didn't mean this to downplay all spawners, just to keep a better eye on the villager spawners that people have. >.>

2013-12-16T09:57:51+00:00

UndeadSmileyFace
CrimsonAngel
UndeadSmileyFace
Ike_Sileth_99

Don't ban people for playing the game man, Server justs needs to upgrade and everything will be fine, server put a cap for 250~ mobs so don't ban because you'll be banning alot of people.

Dont u have your own server to play on??? Or did no one join

2013-12-16T11:16:43+00:00

So let me ask one more time. Sry if its annoying. Villager breeders are fine as long as we control it right? Like if I stop breeding after I have, lets say 10…then I go through them, kill some, and breed for 10 more…would that be okay?

2013-12-16T11:21:17+00:00

Ban for accidentally leaving on your villager farm? Little harsh don't ya think

2013-12-16T13:13:36+00:00

Yeah Nessa, that's ok.

King, if you forget to turn it off, ok, that's fine. Crafter caused that problem the other day by accidentally leaving one on and I didn't ban him. I really only care if you make one, let it run wild, and refuse to stop it. And even with that, it'd only be long enough to be cleaned up unless server decides to go longer.

2013-12-16T14:59:13+00:00

greatn and for the iron farms, i don't think i'll ever feel like putting the effort in one that makes more than one iron golem at the same time xd

2013-12-16T16:07:24+00:00

IKE undead has donated before..

2015-09-23T05:38:39+00:00

CrimsonAngel
For a typical player on the server, if you find a spawner of any sort in the world at all, you exploit it to gather goodies and level in order to enchant stuff. Zombie, spider, skeletons… Hell, even Endermen… All been done before without much problem at all.

However, over the time that I've been on the server, I've noticed that you can duplicate villagers as well. Using a system of doors, you can mass produce them, making either a trading market or an iron golem farm for "sorta easy" iron. There's a small problem with this, however…

The mechanics behind a villager cause it to lag the area near it if its pathing causes it to go somewhere it cannot get to. Obviously, you're dealing with a bunch of dummies to begin with as far as navigation goes, so it shouldn't surprise you, right? Up to 20 villagers is usually not a major thing. Slight lag in the area, but no major server-wide affects. But if you test the boundaries of the village spawner and make one that never ceases to produce villagers…

Imagine 1000 villagers trying to navigate a door or move at the same time, but about 250 cannot because another villager is doing the same action or the action is terminated because of an obstruction? Example being 50 villagers want to go "outside" yet the action is cancelled because one villager beat them there, opened the door, and caused the others to reroute because the previous action had already been done. By one villager. 50 ceased actions causes a lag spike server-wide. Now think bigger and imagine that 1000 again. The action described above happens every second. With 200 villagers per action. o_o

MASSIVE FUCKING LAG!

This exact reason is what caused server problems with the beginning of the current server… villager spawners became a thing and people wanted some in order to get a potentially good deal for their sorta useless emeralds. Which is a viable reason. Make a small area within a confined area, put a glass roof over part of the area and say you have… 20 doors. That would be equal to a few villagers, possibly an iron golem for some free iron. For this build, I see nothing wrong. But when you test the limits and put the villagers out of range from one another… where breeding becomes infinite and villagers mass spawn… That's terms for some serious consequences.

The same can be said for mob spawners. If you map out a mob spawner correctly, you can mass spawn mobs and go afk watching youtube videos while the mobs pile up, then rake in some serious experience. Nothing wrong with this in moderation. Mobs are a bit less difficult, though, as their pathing doesn't cause a nauseating amount of lag in large numbers, it's just the number of mobs itself. Server did implement something a while back to curb the number of mods that can spawn in a chunk from this method, but that doesn't mean that it is impossible to do.

So here is how this is gonna work out.

Upon discovery of a derelict villager or mob spawner that is causing massive lag, you'll have one of two choices:

1. Immediately destroy the spawner and the mobs spawned. Not the actual spawner itself if it is a mob spawner, just the components to allow them to pile up unless server says otherwise.

2. Face a ban. Server cleans it up how he sees fit, which will probably include the mob spawner itself.

That's just the two cents of it.

I wanted to put this up to warn those on the server of the immense pressure the spawners can have on the server… you gotta remember that the dedicated server we have isn't made of gold and doesn't break under any pressure… it's just like your own computer. If you try to run 100 programs at once on it, it's gonna stall and lag while it processes the information, potentially crashing the computer itself. You don't want that. So why do that to someone else?

tl;dr - Small villager spawners only unless server says otherwise, 20 max or minimum number to produce A SINGLE iron golem repeatedly. Rule of thumb, if it causes lag, you have too many. Can't listen, get a ban unless you clean it up when told to do so.

Sorry for the rant. I just remember the last time we had issues with the villager spawners causing the intense lag, it pissed server off pretty badly. So I figured I'd try to educate everyone as to why it happens.

Fun tip: Chickens do the same thing. o_o Don't test that out.

I don't have any Villager Farms so I guess I'm ok.
You must login before you can post a reply