Standard Survival Forums

Pages: 1 2

2017-11-08T23:00:10+00:00

Some great onion articles

2017-11-09T21:54:53+00:00

Animals970
But Australia is a fairly new country with a much lower populace than the USA. It's also geographically seperated. I feel like it would be much easier to illegally get your hands on a gun in the USA than in Australia. Gun laws don't change the number of illegal guns, only legible guns.

How is being a "new" country affect the number of mass shootings?

How does having a frontier with Canada and Mexico provoke more mass shootings?

Where does your "feeling" that getting a gun illegally in the US would be easier than in Australia comes from?

The problem with this discussion is that it always devolves into an argument where one side pretends that the 2nd amendment is important. Anyone who has read anything about it can understand it's not true, it's just convenient because it IS a constitutionally protected right, and almost impossible to remove.

Those who support the 2nd amendment are hypocrits: they do NOT own a gun for the opportunity to combat tyranny. They profit from the trade or they like to play/hunt with them.

Those who oppose the 2nd amendment are idealists: it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

There are a lot of problems with guns.

There are deaths caused by legally acquired guns, and something can be done about that. But nobody does.

There are deaths caused by illegally owned guns, and something can be done about that. Not enough is.

Finally, there are the mass shootings. I have the "feeling" that if most crimes are committed with illegally purchased firearms, most mass shootings were done with legally purchased ones.

All of my solutions begin with a repeal of Citizens United. Don't expect that anytime soon. It's only slightly easier than repealing the 2nd amendment.

2017-11-12T04:05:28+00:00

The Texas shooting was stopped by neighbors who had guns. The death toll would have been worse if the good guys couldn't have guns to defend their community. The shooter got his gun illigally, so in that case, more gun laws would not have prevented it.

But guns aside, (as i can understand the reasoning on both sides) a lot of killing crimes are not even committed by guns. The one in NY was done with a truck, a few years ago a pressure cooker bomb was used in Boston.

Other places in the world have befallen group knife attacks, subway bombings, and many non-gun mass attacks.

Things have just gotten out of control in general.

2017-11-12T04:51:53+00:00

Before going on, let's define prayer. Prayer is talking to a devine/supernatural being or God, It can also be a kind of meditation or even a calming ritual.

It is not generally done to change the world or to manipulate god, but rather to enlighten or comfort the heart and mind of the person praying along with others who have similar beleifs.

Religious beliefs are ancient, so who are we to say that communicating to god isn't possible or that prayer doesn't work to calm or refresh the soul?

Some common prayers after tragedy;
– for God to bring rest/comfort to the families who suffered
–for the souls of the dead, that they will go to heaven
– that the people who witnessed such horrors will be given Devine peace so they can sleep at night and get on with life
– for guidance on how to be better people in an evil world
– to say the right thing to those suffering

People who do not pray may think that prayer does not work because they do not understand what it is or what people pray for.

I hope this helps you understand it better.

(Prayer is pretty useless if you are an atheist, because you have no one to pray too.)

2017-11-12T18:21:19+00:00

Really enjoyed your point of view on those topics, lightpaths!

2017-11-12T18:49:56+00:00

Animals970
But Australia is a fairly new country with a much lower populace than the USA. It's also geographically seperated. I feel like it would be much easier to illegally get your hands on a gun in the USA than in Australia. Gun laws don't change the number of illegal guns, only legible guns.

So your point of view is that, since there is a problem with illegal weapons, we shouldn't even bother to do anything about the other problem of gun control laws? Interesting

2017-11-12T18:50:51+00:00

lightpaths
(Prayer is pretty useless if you are an atheist, because you have no one to pray too.)

What a clueless claim, one can achieve the same positive effects from praying to a higher entity by praying to the beautiful string of incidents that is the universe.

I usually dislike people who say "prayers won't do anything" to those who "pray" via Twitter, because saying "prayers won't do anything" won't do anything either. However, your post is so full of patches of blissful ignorance that I have to say something.

lightpaths
Before going on, let's define prayer. Prayer is talking to a devine/supernatural being or God, It can also be a kind of meditation or even a calming ritual.

A prayer is a call for help or an expression of gratitude addressed to a higher being. Please don't mix it with meditation, because meditation is about the opposite of praying - you bring your mind and body together for the sake of introspection. When praying, you stretch your body and arms out in the search for something outside your own bounds.

lightpaths
It is not generally done to change the world or to manipulate god, but rather to enlighten or comfort the heart and mind of the person praying along with others who have similar beleifs.

Religious beliefs are ancient, so who are we to say that communicating to god isn't possible or that prayer doesn't work to calm or refresh the soul?

Well, the burden of proof is upon the claimant, and all that. One could reason that ancient knowledge and beliefs tend to be outdated and/or lacking, and that after several thousand years of belief, maybe you should stop believing and go a different path.

Prayer only actually works to the extent of placebo and social reactions, there's nothing otherworldly about a person feeling well because someone tells him they care about him.

People who pray may think that prayer does work because they do not understand what it is or what you could do instead to achieve the same results without all the deceptive fogginess of religious beliefs.

I hope this helps you understand the world better.

Oh, and I'm not an atheist, not a catholic, sikh, or anything like that. I don't join mental cults. I just prefer evaluating the world through my own mind rather than being served what I'm supposed to believe is real by anyone else.

2017-11-12T19:02:06+00:00

That right there, is why I love Fabiana.

2017-11-13T05:09:19+00:00

A response:

It is easier in general to say "religion is for simple folk" and leave it at that without knowing or understanding what religious people believe vs what an outside society claim religions believe.

"What purpose is there to study religious rituals and doctrines if religion is empty?" Society preaches this. But I would venture that it is worth your time to make sure that what you have been told is accurate.

I would challenge you to read both the new testament Bible and the Koran. Find out what those books really say. It might surprise you.

2017-11-13T14:18:21+00:00

Toulomne
Animals970

So your point of view is that, since there is a problem with illegal weapons, we shouldn't even bother to do anything about the other problem of gun control laws? Interesting

All I'm trying to say is if we place tons of laws and regulations on buying/owning/receiving guns it will only affect honest people. I've always said that locks (as in on your doors or whatever) only keep out honest people.

Situation A: An honest person with no bad intentions walks up to someone's home, finds the door is locked, and leaves.

Situation B: A person with bad intentions walks up to someone's home, finds the door locked, breaks the window anyways and enters without permission.

I believe it is the same with firearms. People who have legal, legible guns will suffer when rules are put in place, and as we saw in Texas, a legal gun saved lives. Say there ever was a bill put into place (which there never will be). People that have officially documented firearms will get them taken away, and people who own guns illegally will get to keep them, because no one officially knows they are owned.

Plus there is also the argument of people using different "weapons" to kill. Arguably two of the greatest attacks on American soil didn't use guns. Pearl Harbor was bombs (from planes), and 9/11 they used planes. The Boston Marathon Bombings used handmade bombs. Several years ago I believe a man in Norway practically wiped out a summer camp with a knife/machete. There have been many uses of cars, trucks, and vans in the past two or three years (NYC, Nice, Berlin etc). Don't get me wrong, I feel very ambivalent about guns, I understand people can use them awfully. And I do think the system in America needs to be revised. But coming out and saying that guns kill people, or that they should be banned altogether is an ignorant and selfish argument.

In the end, going from my personal beliefs, seeing as I'm a Christian, I ultimately believe that all the problems we see in our world today are caused by the moral degradation and mankind turning from God. But I understand that most people here do not agree with me on this topic, so I will not try and shove it on anybody

2017-11-13T19:16:11+00:00

This topic is getting really heavy.

It is so nice to see so many deep thinkers with so many amazingly diverse opinions.

Wow!

2017-11-14T16:19:01+00:00

Feben
lightpaths

What a clueless claim, one can achieve the same positive effects from praying to a higher entity by praying to the beautiful string of incidents that is the universe.

I usually dislike people who say "prayers won't do anything" to those who "pray" via Twitter, because saying "prayers won't do anything" won't do anything either. However, your post is so full of patches of blissful ignorance that I have to say something.

lightpaths

A prayer is a call for help or an expression of gratitude addressed to a higher being. Please don't mix it with meditation, because meditation is about the opposite of praying - you bring your mind and body together for the sake of introspection. When praying, you stretch your body and arms out in the search for something outside your own bounds.

lightpaths

Well, the burden of proof is upon the claimant, and all that. One could reason that ancient knowledge and beliefs tend to be outdated and/or lacking, and that after several thousand years of belief, maybe you should stop believing and go a different path.

Prayer only actually works to the extent of placebo and social reactions, there's nothing otherworldly about a person feeling well because someone tells him they care about him.

People who pray may think that prayer does work because they do not understand what it is or what you could do instead to achieve the same results without all the deceptive fogginess of religious beliefs.

I hope this helps you understand the world better.

Oh, and I'm not an atheist, not a catholic, sikh, or anything like that. I don't join mental cults. I just prefer evaluating the world through my own mind rather than being served what I'm supposed to believe is real by anyone else.

Goddamn, what is your IQ? 190?
Pages: 1 2
You must login before you can post a reply