Standard Survival Forums

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5

2016-06-01T07:00:48+00:00

Hey all,

The following was written up by apv1313/Jester. I wanted to post it here for more visibility and discussion.

We are excited to announce the changes to Groups and general gameplay that will likely come with SSV. The list is quite long, but please try to read through it all to not be completely surprised by some of the less subtle updates.

If you have questions, urgent short-term suggestions or concerns, now would be the chance to voice them. However, the general concept stands.

Starting SSV, everyone playing on the server should try to be a "Beta tester" for Groups. Any and all bugs, balance issues etc. should be reported to apv1313. The plugin is considered stable after the test server, but one never knows.

Groups

Raiding mechanics

Summary

Dying weakens your group's protections, leaving blocks and locks vulnerable to breaking with tools or by hand.

Power system

Each group has power. It falls when group members die and regenerates over time until the group's maximum power (10 per default) is reached again.

The command for viewing a group's power is "/g p". You can obtain a group list sorted by power or maximum power with "/g list p" or "/g list mp".

Deaths

Normal power loss for PVE is 1, for PVP 2.
PVE deaths cannot bring your power below 0.
You lose less power on your own land. You lose more power when killed by someone on their own land.
Spawnkilling (short time between kills) greatly reduces power loss for the attacked group.

Effects of power loss

At power -3 and below, groups who have killed you before can break or place blocks on your land. Below -10, locks become breakable.

Regaining power

You can regain power by two means:
- Natural regeneration. Power regenerates gradually each minute you are in game (4+ per hour). Bigger groups have a higher natural regeneration rate if enough members are in game. Regen is halted for some time if you die to PVP.
- Defender's advantage. Every time attackers destroy or place blocks on your land, your power is restored by a small amount (0.25 for most blocks, 2 for locks).

Adjusting your max power / power damage

Group leaders can manually exchange their max power for more power damage or vice versa. The command to do this is "/g adjustmaxpower".

Other updates to Groups

- Friended groups now can share locks. However, this comes at a price as you will lose a little power as well when a friend dies.

- Certain group commands are macro protected. You will not be able to use them in quick succession or immediately after logging in. (Timeout is 5 seconds.)

- Using "/g autolock [args]" will "charge" your hand and enable you to lock/unlock multiple blocks by punching them.

- Claiming directly next to safe / neutral area will cost 5 claims instead of 1. "Corner claims" do not count.

- Group moderators always are co-members, leaders always are co-owners of locked blocks.

End resets

(Ir-)regular end resets are coming back!

When the dragon is killed, the server will pick a random date and time for the weekend after the next. Peak times are preferred, but not guaranteed. The end resets will not be announced in advance anymore.

The player killing the dragon will receive the new, unique title "Dragon Slayer". They will keep it until the dragon is killed again by a different person.

As a side result, manual dragon respawning will not be possible.

Various gameplay changes

- PVP tag: You will enter PVP by being hit. The PVP timeout has been increased.

- You can now disable your PVP and hunger protection early by using "/enablepvp".

- Endermen in the end drop pearls normally again, but only on the main island.

- TNT minecarts have no effect on claimed land.

- Chorus fruits will not teleport you into, out of, or on foreign land.

To a good reset and a fun time on SSV!

Jester / apv1313

Edit: Updated the point about explosions. -apv1313
Edit: Clarified the point about chorus fruits. -apv1313
Edited by apv1313 2016-06-03T07:20:19+00:00

2016-06-01T07:13:27+00:00

Server
Hey all,

The following was written up by apv1313/Jester. I wanted to post it here for more visibility and discussion.

We are excited to announce the changes to Groups and general gameplay that will likely come with SSV. The list is quite long, but please try to read through it all to not be completely surprised by some of the less subtle updates.

If you have questions, urgent short-term suggestions or concerns, now would be the chance to voice them. However, the general concept stands.

Starting SSV, everyone playing on the server should try to be a "Beta tester" for Groups. Any and all bugs, balance issues etc. should be reported to apv1313. The plugin is considered stable after the test server, but one never knows.

Groups

Raiding mechanics

Summary

Dying weakens your group's protections, leaving blocks and locks vulnerable to breaking with tools or by hand.

Power system

Each group has power. It falls when group members die and regenerates over time until the group's maximum power (10 per default) is reached again.

The command for viewing a group's power is "/g p". You can obtain a group list sorted by power or maximum power with "/g list p" or "/g list mp".

Deaths

Normal power loss for PVE is 1, for PVP 2.
PVE deaths cannot bring your power below 0.
You lose less power on your own land. You lose more power when killed by someone on their own land.
Spawnkilling (short time between kills) greatly reduces power loss for the attacked group.

Effects of power loss

At power -3 and below, groups who have killed you before can break or place blocks on your land. Below -10, locks become breakable.

Regaining power

You can regain power by two means:
- Natural regeneration. Power regenerates gradually each minute you are in game (4+ per hour). Bigger groups have a higher natural regeneration rate if enough members are in game. Regen is halted for some time if you die to PVP.
- Defender's advantage. Every time attackers destroy or place blocks on your land, your power is restored by a small amount (0.25 for most blocks, 2 for locks).

Adjusting your max power / power damage

Group leaders can manually exchange their max power for more power damage or vice versa. The command to do this is "/g adjustmaxpower".

Other updates to Groups

- Friended groups now can share locks. However, this comes at a price as you will lose a little power as well when a friend dies.

- Certain group commands are macro protected. You will not be able to use them in quick succession or immediately after logging in. (Timeout is 5 seconds.)

- Using "/g autolock [args]" will "charge" your hand and enable you to lock/unlock multiple blocks by punching them.

- Claiming directly next to safe / neutral area will cost 5 claims instead of 1. "Corner claims" do not count.

- Group moderators always are co-members, leaders always are co-owners of locked blocks.

End resets

(Ir-)regular end resets are coming back!

When the dragon is killed, the server will pick a random date and time for the weekend after the next. Peak times are preferred, but not guaranteed. The end resets will not be announced in advance anymore.

The player killing the dragon will receive the new, unique title "Dragon Slayer". They will keep it until the dragon is killed again by a different person.

As a side result, manual dragon respawning will not be possible.

Various gameplay changes

- PVP tag: You will enter PVP by being hit. The PVP timeout has been increased.

- You can now disable your PVP and hunger protection early by using "/enablepvp".

- Endermen in the end drop pearls normally again, but only on the main island.

- Creeper explosions have been disabled. TNT remains enabled on unclaimed land. It also continues to work on claimed land if it has actually been placed there (e.g., not fired by a cannon). TNT minecarts have no effect on claimed land.

- Chorus fruits will not teleport you into or out of foreign land.

To a good reset and a fun time on SSV!

Jester / apv1313

This seems easily exploited, if friended groups can share locks, one could easily put all their valuables in an alt groups chests, and never allow themselves to be exposed to pvp on those accounts, rendering their loot effectively invulnerable. This problem is only made worse by the removal of classic raiding mechanics such as minecarts and tnt cannons. I do not agree with these changes.

2016-06-01T07:15:49+00:00

I don't really like the claims thing I mean i get the idea but i feel it's over with I feel the same about the tnt

2016-06-01T07:17:33+00:00

I like what's been done and I think it could work very well. But not without being able to use creepers, tnt mine carts, and tnt cannons. These should still be able to function as they always have.

The shittiest dirt bases have become invincible as long as the owners don't die.
Edited by FrainBreeze 2016-06-01T07:18:28+00:00

2016-06-01T07:19:32+00:00

Just putting it out again to be sure, these are proposed changes and up for discussion. If the explosion idea is not liked, we can remove it. If the block threshold gradient (which was removed for simplicity) is wanted back, we can add it back.

2016-06-01T07:20:35+00:00

Server

How many claims do you start with? 5 as in ss4? (== 1 spawn claim?)

"Claiming directly next to safe" means there will be such claims?
Server
- Creeper explosions have been disabled. TNT remains enabled on unclaimed land. It also continues to work on claimed land if it has actually been placed there (e.g., not fired by a cannon). TNT minecarts have no effect on claimed land.

This basically ends raiding

(other than kill-kill-kill then break some blocks when your target has low power). Also no need for obby/water protection anymore (as long as your stuff is a few blocks from the claim border)

Edited by Hagar 2016-06-01T07:20:50+00:00

2016-06-01T07:23:20+00:00

hagar
How many claims do you start with? 5 as in ss4? (== 1 spawn claim?)
"Claiming directly next to safe" means there will be such claims?

10, from what I know. There will likely not be exposed safe zones, but if they should happen, they'd count as "spawn" in this sense.
Edited by apv1313 2016-06-01T07:23:28+00:00

2016-06-01T07:24:19+00:00

apv1313
10, from what I know. There will likely not be exposed safe zones, but if they should happen, they'd count as "spawn" in this sense.

A good change, reflects the value of spawn claims,
and gives more people a chance to get one

2016-06-01T07:25:37+00:00

Frain_Breeze
I like what's been done and I think it could work very well. But not without being able to use creepers, tnt mine carts, and tnt cannons. These should still be able to function as they always have.

The shittiest dirt bases have become invincible as long as the owners don't die.

However at the same time people are not spending hundreds of hours mining obby. This reset should be fun.

2016-06-01T07:47:27+00:00

I like all the updates, killing to make someone raidable is much better, thanks server and apv especially for pearls in the end again.

2016-06-01T07:51:53+00:00

Here are my comments and opinions on the proposed changes:

"Dying weakens your group's protections, leaving blocks and locks vulnerable to breaking with tools or by hand."
Maybe too complex, but it might add some flavor if you have to use the appropriate tools to break blocks on someone else's land when they have lost enough power for this to be done. So in other words, someone with an iron pick cannot break an obsidian block even if the power levels allows it. They still need a diamond pick.

"Friended groups now can share locks. However, this comes at a price as you will lose a little power as well when a friend dies."
Clarification, please: Do you lose a little power when just the specific friend who is on that lock dies, or do you lose a little power any time anyone in their group dies? While I would personally prefer that you don't lose any power at all from allied group members dying, in this case it seems like the first option would still be fair… but the second makes this feature useless in its entirety.

I would also greatly appreciate the ability to add ANY other name to one's lock, regardless of whether they are in an allied group. This is because I have a lot of friends that I help out, but my group leaders don't always like their group leaders. I want to be free as a bird to flit about and bestow my favors upon whom I may!

"The player killing the dragon will receive the new, unique title "Dragon Slayer". They will keep it until the dragon is killed again by a different person."
I love this, but can there also be a permanent title associated with dragon killing? Perhaps at the end of SSV, everyone who is on the dragon leaderboard can keep the title? Or perhaps come up with another title for those who have killed a dragon, but not the most recent one? Like, "Dragonbane" would be a nice one to have. Also, may I have the personalized title of "Nether Goddess" please?

"Creeper explosions have been disabled. TNT remains enabled on unclaimed land. It also continues to work on claimed land if it has actually been placed there (e.g., not fired by a cannon). TNT minecarts have no effect on claimed land."
Ah this. I believe that many others have voiced their disfavor with this, but I figured I would throw mine into the lot. I think we should leave TNT and creeper explosions untouched as they are. If it is impossible to raid a base without PVP killing people, then it will swing the server heavily toward PVP as the emphasis. And, conversely, those of us who are not great at PVP will be spending a lot of time hiding in our bases, while the people who are trying to rek us grow increasingly frustrated.

2016-06-01T08:17:30+00:00

Wondering bout chorus fruits not teleporting you in or out of foreign land clarifications…if you are already inside a foreign territory and you use one, will it then teleport you to a different location in that claim? I'm wondering how this would work with SS4 style safe builds of one away from the border? Sounds like that will become obsolete anyway because of explosion changes, but in any case what stops someone from climbing onto your roof to be inside your territory then teleporting around with a chorus fruit? I'm not really familiar with how chorus fruits work tbh, not sure whether vertical changes happen or not too

2016-06-01T08:27:27+00:00

Good comments, Perse, thanks!

1. Worth considering, but tedious to code from what I know. Likely not doable before reset because of time issues. Also likely not worth it, nobody would want to break into an obsidian base with iron.

2. Any groups that are friended affect each other's power (60 % of own loss also goes to friends). There are two reasonings behind this:
(a) Make being friended to a group actually mean something other than no-friendly-fire. You should need to trust your friends and work together to be strong together.
(b) No reason to conceal this: Alt protection. Without anything to counter it, shared locks would be a paradise for people who love "hiding behind alts". They will always find a way, but this should help a little.

3. The title would lose its meaning, I think. We will have ~20-30 random end resets in SSV.

4. Yeah, until now it looks like it will be scrapped. We will continue to ask around for a little more and keep you updated.

Sooshon, the exact algorithm goes as follows: If either start or end point of the teleport are not in wilderness or your own land, the teleport is cancelled. This means your roof scenario should not happen.

2016-06-01T08:29:38+00:00

Gotcha, thanks, simple and effective

2016-06-01T08:30:36+00:00

APV: for answer 3 -

Then in that case, can we at least consider giving a permanent dragon-related title to at least whomever is #1 on the dragon leader board at the end of SSV?

2016-06-01T08:31:23+00:00

I'm sure we can do this.

2016-06-01T08:35:42+00:00

Sounds good!

2016-06-01T08:41:52+00:00

I agree with all of these general statements except the removal of TnT, TnT minecarts, and creepers explosive effects on group builds.
Edited by ShovelKen 2016-06-01T08:42:19+00:00

2016-06-01T09:25:42+00:00

Removing tnt/minecarts/creepers means no more obby bases. I think this could be a good thing. I don't think people should make up their minds on this too quickly.

I'm happy to hear about the reintroduction of pearls and end resets.
Edited by Hethrox 2016-06-01T09:30:33+00:00

2016-06-01T09:37:30+00:00

Will folks just need to go to end to figure out if the reset has happened? Or will there be some announcement in chat like "The Dragon has just been reset"?
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
You must login before you can post a reply